November 1, 2023
“The World’s Largest 2023 Pharmaceutical ETFs – Uncover the Top 5 Now!
The pharmaceutical industry is an ever-evolving one. It comes with the promise of therapies that can bring forth life-saving treatments for people suffering from a wide range of ailments. This has made it a highly lucrative sector for investors who can capitalize on the sheer number of growth opportunities. As of 2023, there are a handful of Pharmaceutical ETFs (exchange-traded funds) that provide investors with access to the performance of companies operating in the pharmaceutical industry. The following are the five biggest pharmaceutical ETFs to look out for in 2023:
1. The iShares Nasdaq Pharmaceuticals ETF (IHE): The iShares Nasdaq Pharmaceuticals ETF is an ETF that tracks the Nasdaq Pharmaceuticals Index, which includes large and mid-cap pharmaceuticals companies. IHE holds a portfolio of international and U.S. stocks. As of 2023, IHE’s holdings include Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Merck, and Abbvie, which are all multi- billion dollar companies.
2. The SPDR S&P Pharmaceuticals ETF (XPH): The SPDR S&P Pharmaceuticals ETF is similar to IHE. It follows the S&P Pharmaceuticals Select Industry Index and holds many of the same stocks. This fund also includes some smaller-cap pharmaceuticals companies.
3. The First Trust NYSE Arca Biotechnology Index ETF (FBT): The First Trust NYSE Arca Biotechnology Index ETF is an ETF that tracks the NYSE Arca Biotechnology Index. The index tracks stocks of biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies that are publicly traded on the U.S. and international markets. These stocks include Celgene, Amgen, and Gilead Sciences.
4. The Health Care Select Sector SPDR Fund (XLV): This ETF is an index fund that tracks the performance of companies in the Health Care Select Sector. This includes a selection of pharmaceutical companies as well as medical technology companies. Among its holdings are Abbot Laboratories, Novartis, and Allergan.
5. The Vanguard Health Care ETF (VHT): The Vanguard Health Care ETF provides investors with the Vanguard Health Care Index Fund, a portfolio of pharmaceuticals stocks as well as “health care and related” companies. Among its holdings are Bristol-Myers Squibb, AbbVie, and Teva Pharmaceuticals.
These five pharmaceutical ETFs have all demonstrated their ability to generate strong returns for investors in the past, and they all hold attractive potential as 2023 comes around. Each ETF can offer investors access to pharmaceutical stocks from a variety of companies, be they large, mid, or small-cap. As such, they should be given ample consideration when planning an investment portfolio.